Where to Get Help

If this is a mental health emergency and safety is the immediate concern and help is needed now 鈥 Call 911 or go to your hospital emergency department.

Lakehead Public Schools offers school social work services and mental health resources for students, families and staff to assist with challenges, transitions, and issues. Please visit the following links to learn more. If a student, family, or staff member needs help, please reach out 鈥 someone is here to help.

CMHA Crisis Response

If you need to talk to someone right away please call or text 807-346-8282


Kids Help Phone

Kids Help Phone is Canada鈥檚 only 24/7, national support service. They offer professional counselling, information and referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support to young people in both English and French.

By Phone 鈥 You can reach a Kids Help Phone counsellor 24/7 at 1-800-668-6868.

By Text 鈥 Need help now? Text CONNECT to 686868

Live Chat 鈥 Kids Help Phone鈥檚 Live Chat hours are temporarily reduced so we can provide more timely access to support through our other services. Live Chat is currently open daily from midnight to 7:00 am.


Thunder Bay District Walk in/Talk in Counselling Walk-in Talk-in Services

Mental Health Resources for Students and Caregivers

School Mental Health Ontario

School Mental Health Ontario supports Ontario schools to enhance the quality and consistency of mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention programming in Ontario schools. SMHO also provides resources to caregivers on mental health awareness in the way of activities, tip sheets, videos and important questions you might have. Check out this link for more information.


Children鈥檚 Mental Health Ontario

Children鈥檚 Mental Health Ontario (CMHO) represents Ontario鈥檚 publicly funded Child and Youth Mental Health Centres. We advocate for investments, policies, and programs for children, youth, and families seeking mental health services in Ontario. Our goal is to promote a coordinated and high-quality system of care that puts children, youth and families first.


Kids Grief.ca

Kids Grief is a free online resource that helps parents support their children when someone in their life is dying or has died. It equips parents with the words and confidence to help children grieve life’s losses in healthy ways.


Mental Health Presentations for Parents and Caregivers 2023

Need Help Now.ca

If you (or a friend, peer or sibling) have been negatively impacted by a sexual picture/video being shared by peers, we are here to help. The NeedHelpNow website is designed to provide youth (13 to 17 years old) with practical steps to regain control over the situation. This includes information about contacting websites/online services to request a picture/video be removed, dealing with peers who may have seen or be sharing the content, the importance of emotional support and information on certain criminal offences. The site also provides resources for parents and safe adults who are assisting youth involved in these types of instances.


School Social Work Services

**Please note, we only provide social work services during the school year. Any social work referrals submitted will not be processed until the fall of 2023.

Elementary and Secondary School Services

Individual Clinical Services are provided for students throughout the school calendar year for elementary and high schools. Our model focuses on brief, solution focused problem-solving methods to help promote resilience and coping with the goal of enhancing social emotional learning skills and success in the classroom. Referred students are provided with approximately 5 sessions if individual counselling with a registered social worker at the school. If your elementary age child is interested in individual services, please contact your school principal. For high school students, visit your student success office.

Self-Referral Form

If you are a youth over 12 or are referring someone over 12:

If you are a staff, parent or agency referring a youth under 12:

Skip to content
Translate 禄